Are you getting married in Italy?

Here the  legal requirements for getting married in Italy

The legal requirements for getting married in Italy are straightforward.

Before starting we strongly advise you to consult the Italian Embassy or Consulate for first-hand information on the legal requirements for getting married in Italy or

In this page we will talk only about UK citizen, but we can help any other citizen to obtain their documents to get married in Italy.


The marriage of UK citizens conducted in Italy is legally binding under UK . You will need to obtain a Nulla Osta, which is the document required by the Italian Authorities for the marriage to take place. This can be obtained as follows:


  • Obtain a Certificate of No Impediment. This is done by Giving Notice (publishing the Banns) at your local registry office no more than six months before your wedding date. 23 days after you have given notice the registry office will release a CNI, Certificate of No Impediment.



In order to obtain a Nulla Osta, (sworn statement) you must present the following documentation:

  • Certificate of No Impediment (UK Citizens only)
  • You’ll need to provide more information in a ‘statutory declaration’. You need to sign it in front of a solicitor or public notary in the UK. They’ll charge you a fee.There’s a standard template in English and Italian that you can download and use.
  • Passport
  • Photocopies of the picture page of the passports for your two witnesses, listing their name, address and occupation.
  • If you are divorced – a Decree Absolute & previous marriage certificates
  • If you have changed your name – Deed Poll

All documentation must be original or certified copies, and your Certificate of No Impediment must not be older than 6 months.

Note: If you are female and have previously been married your wedding cannot occur until 300 days after your marriage was annulled.

Here in Amoretti, all the planners are legal translator, so we will translate and legalise the documents on your behalf.


You will be issued with an international wedding certificate that will be valid in your home country however if you wish more than one copy you will need to request this in advance. Upon your return home your marriage can be lodged with the Registry of Births, Marriages and Deaths and you can order extra copies in the normal way.